Coates & Associates, Inc - "Steering Organizations to New Horizons"
The Coates Perspective

A Quest For The EXTRAordinary…The Server

Recently, a potential business client invited me to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants- The Angus Barn.  A dinner meeting after an already full day of platform speaking demands a great place for conversation, atmosphere, great food, and most importantly, terrific service. My expectations for all the above were high as I choose this venue whenever I am in the Raleigh area and circumstances allow.

Upon arrival at exactly 7:15, I met my party and almost immediately our table was ready. The hostess took us to our table and indicated that our server would be by in just a minute.   Almost to the exact projected time, our server arrived.  Immediately I noticed in the way she greeted us and the manner in which she asked us questions about our desires for beverages and the menu, that she was no rookie. In fact, I took a gander and proposed that she had worked there for a while.

After being treated royally for a couple of hours over dinner, I asked Yvonne, the server, a couple of questions.  First, I asked her how long she had worked at The Angus Barn. To my surprise, she said with enthusiasm, 33 years. “Wow,” I said, “that is a really long time in any business, but especially in the food and restaurant business.” She acknowledged as much, but was quick to retort and say, “but I have a colleague who has worked here 49 years.” “What? Are you kidding me?” I replied. Neither Yvonne nor her colleague was related to the family that owns Angus Barn.

Encouragingly and seriously I asked Yvonne why she had worked there so long. She responded with no delay, “because they love me here.” At first I thought she meant the management staff. While she affirmed that, she went on to say, she mostly meant the customers. And she added, “I love them, too.”

What makes this story EXTRAordinary is this. Yvonne and others who stay at an establishment of this caliber are paid about average tips and earn a decent living. But it was clear to me, even before she told me, Yvonne did not work at the Angus Barn because of the money or the benefits. In fact, she works there because of LOVE. She loves her co-workers, managers, supervisor and owners…and she knows they love her. She loves her customers and they love her. That understanding of purpose and her self-inspired passion to serve gives her energy and drives her to action on behalf of her customers.

Before we left, I thought I would try to get contact information from her so I could send a note to her manager to recognize her great service to us. Thinking it was a long shot, I asked “do you have a business card?” Without hesitation she retrieved from her apron a business card with her name on it and below that, her title. It simply read…SERVER. How appropriate. She proudly claims her restaurant and her title.

EXTRAordinary service requires extra effort, extra action, and a lot of HEART. Yvonne is a SERVER, just ask her.

7 Comments to A Quest For The EXTRAordinary…The Server:

Comments RSS
seedbox service on Friday, August 30, 2013 7:42 AM
Really well sharing. So much of advantages as far as the Universal Contour Wrap is concerned.I really like your mail and I am waiting for your next article and anticipating some truly incredible data accessible there. Good job.
Reply to comment

More info Consulting on Friday, September 20, 2013 3:57 AM
Thanks for this nice article, which is a really good to read. I must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw. Thanks for posting this informative article, which is an excellent example of superior writing.
Reply to comment

seedbox hosting on Saturday, September 28, 2013 9:42 AM
I am awfully joyous to browse your mail, it’s terribly useful on behalf of me, and that i am completely convinced together with your journal. All comments and mails locality unit awfully helpful and actually intelligent. Thanks for distributing this mail.
Reply to comment

replica omega on Sunday, September 29, 2013 9:36 PM
Making money is not as important but making it using the business ethics matters

Seo Services Jaipur on Wednesday, October 09, 2013 4:06 AM
We provide best digital marketing services in jaipur. Use latest teqnique and theme wise backlinks.
Reply to comment

Webhosting on Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:11 PM
very good & decent mail. I found this much informative, as to what I was exactly seeking for. Thanks for such mail and keep it up.
Reply to comment

Anderson on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 6:00 AM
To get your article i am gonna very amazing which is very useful to me as well. I must follow the discussion which is very useful to me as well. Keep it up.
Reply to comment

Your Name:
Email Address: (Required)
Website:
Comment:
Season Sale -25% OFF!
Youre just in time for our holiday/end of the year special!
 We will offer new clients that book Coates and Associates, Inc. or any of our associates to conduct onsite training or to present a conference/convention speech a discount on our standard fees.  If you are looking for a trainer to help with customer service training and/or sales training this is a great offer for you. Consulting contracts are not included in this offer.
If you are planning a meeting and need a speaker, book by the end of the year to take advantage of this discount.
This sale end 12/31/12. Dont miss it!
Lets Get Creative
Thanks for stopping by our site!
Coates & Associates, Inc is dedicated to helping you find the right mix of creative to promote your business. Browse our site for a complete list of services and to view a portfolio of our recent work. We know that your businesses challenges are unique, but were ready to develop a solution thats just right for you.